Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Today it is Mother's Day.  Our baby boy, Wolfgang, went to be in heaven at just 5 days old last Thursday.  We held his memorial service yesterday. 

I still feel compelled to write.

Since the birth of Wolfie things were a blur of hope, doctors, crying, wheelchairs, hugging and holding on to one another, beeping and chiming monitors going off all over the NICU, despair, nurses, taking in the sights/feel/smell/warmth of our son, finding it uncomfortable to neither sit nor stand as I heal, anger, spending time with family members, guilt, reading all the amazing prayers and support from our friends, and thankfulness.

The body.

Sometimes in the quiet when we were at home, when my heart had settled from the chaos of the day and the enjoyment of spending time with our precious one at the hospital, I would lament and cry because... and I'm not sure I can ever do this feeling any real justice... well, I would literally feel like every cell in my body knew that a baby was supposed to be there... in my arms, within arms reach.   Even my pinky toe would sort-of ache...an emotional ache.  The kind of strange physical thing you might hear about when someone has an organ transplant from another person and then suddenly has new urges or new cravings (as if their tissue carried with it life experiences)... that kind of ache.  It's in all my tissues.  My body says, "Something is missing here" and it cries out uncontrollably.

Still though, I feel my body healing.  The last week has felt like three.  I have to remind myself that only a week has passed.  I think I'm healing very well for it only being a week.  The birth was hard, he was a big boy.  I pulled all my neck muscles and experienced a full-body soreness I haven't felt since the day after I started an intense fitness bootcamp.  But every day gets a little better, and every day I can count more physical blessings. 

The mind.

God is good.  I am so crazy blessed with good friends, good family, a loving and caring man of God for a husband.  Without these, my mind would suffer.  There is a big difference between suffering and pain.  I am not suffering.

I won't pretend, however, that everything is completely kosher in my mind.  We all have dark voices inside that like to try to sway our nerve.  In these days mine sometimes try to ease their greasy fingers into the door, to open it wider, to make me hear or think that some part of this was my fault.  To make me think there was something I could have done differently to save my son.  Some other choice I could have made.  Some other way I could have been.  Who of you wouldn't trade in anything... anything in the world... to keep your child?  No birth plan, c-section scar, terrible birth experience, amount of pain,  embarrassment... nothing... nothing would have kept me from choosing to have him.  I don't care about any of that stuff because I would have gladly given it all up to save him.   And then my mind is put to ease, I am reminded that no matter what I do, or have done, it isn't up to me.  God's will is most powerful.  I did the very best I could do.  I guess I did more than some expectant mothers would do.  Last night, in a conversation, I was reminded of all the women who are so careless with their pregnancies.  Who don't value the gift they've been given.  Who drink heavily or don't eat well.  Who smoke crack or otherwise consciously choose put their precious baby in danger.  Some of them still have beautiful, healthy babies.  It isn't fair.  But it isn't up to me.

Dear friends, don't worry.  Ben and I are sure to seek some grief counseling.  I am told that guilt is a perfectly normal emotion to experience during the loss of a child.  It's just my mind trying to find a way out, a place of blame, a resting place so it can stop churning, stop seeking.  I don't honestly blame myself, but at times I do feel weak... I guess it's to be expected... and that's Ok as far as I'm concerned.

The spirit.

During the memorial service we took communion.  Ben and I received first and then sat down.  I was in a slight daze.  I gazed at Wolfie's pictures on his little shrine and thought hard about his little soul.  For a while at the hospital I imagined it hovering above his body, listening to us sing to him and read to him.  Feeling every kiss and touch.  There in the middle of the service, I felt him somehow high above me, but reaching down, like a little thread draping down... or reaching through... neatly weaving little stitches in the middle of my soul.  Sewing us together forever.  I leaned in closer to my husband's shoulder, and I also felt the stitches connecting me to him tug a bit tighter, pulled by an Almighty hand...all the seams becoming stronger.       

Our friends in the communion line kept coming... and coming... and coming.  Just when I thought, "Surely the line must be getting to the end," it kept coming still.   I hadn't really looked behind myself to assess just how many people were there for Wolfie... for us.  We had entered the sanctuary earlier but the measure of everyone's support for us in that moment had yet to hit me until the fog of my mind had lifted just enough to absorb it.  The love... the support... the outpouring of everyone's heart... my God... we felt it all.  We feel it all.  It wraps us in blessed comfort such that I have never experienced before.  Everyone remarked at how "strong" we were being.  No... we were being strengthened... by all of you.  Every prayer, every thought, every kind word, every hug,  we breathe it all in.  They have nourished our souls.

The road.

One day at a time right now.  I cannot tell what life holds for us now.  We sit and listen to records, we talk, we eat, we sleep, we spend time with loved ones.  For now, that's about all we can do.  Eventually we will celebrate, we will indulge, we will venture out, we will dance, we will not feel the sting of loss as incredibly sharp as it grabs us now.

I'll leave you with a quote I'm stealing from another friend's blog... because I feel that it completely describes... well...  everything.

"We do not have to die to arrive at the gates of Heaven.  In fact, we have to be truly alive.  The practice is to touch life deeply so that the Kingdom of God becomes a reality."

-THICH NHAT HANH (from Living Buddha, Living Christ)



 

8 comments:

  1. I realize that you and I are complete strangers (I found you through our expansive coffee community) but I want to say as your sister in God's family, I join your friends, loved ones, acquaintances and coffee family in prayer and support for you and Ben today. I pray that the Lord gives you strength and healing during this incredibly sad time, and sustains you as you grieve.
    I have been so blown away by the strengh you've both shown in your blog and facebook entries.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brooke, you are so amazing. thank you for sharing these beautiful words with us. it is so sad that wolfie's body couldn't communicate more of his personhood, and that his time here was so short, but God is merciful and will allow you to know him and love him more until you are able to meet again.

    you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. i have added you three to the prayer lists at our church. i love you so much, and hope you can feel all the love and support coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, Brooke - can't wait to hug you. Please let me know if you need anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know you, but you're in my thoughts and prayers. May this poem bring you some comfort and may GOD bless you both.

    "I'll lend you for a little time a child of Mine," He said,
    "For you to love the while he lives, and mourn for, when he's dead.
    It may be six or seven years, or twenty-two or three.
    But will you till I call him back, take care of him for Me?
    He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and should his stay be brief,
    You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief.
    I cannot promise he will stay since all from earth return,
    But there are lessons taught down there I wish this child to learn.
    I've looked the wide-world over in my search for teachers true,
    And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes I have selected you.
    Nor will you give him all your love, nor think the labour vain,
    Nor hate me when I come to call to take him back again?"
    I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
    For all the joy Thy child shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
    We'll shelter him with tenderness, we'll love him while we may,
    And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
    And should the Angels call for him much sooner than we've planned, We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand."
    Author: Edgar Guest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, that quote makes me think of you and Ben whenever I read it! In this short time, the two of you have been a concrete and totally awe-inspiring lesson in how to have the courage to love even in the midst of pain. I've learned so much from you guys by following Wolfie's journey and how you've responded to it.

    In my eyes, little Wolfie has truly been a blessing because of the love and prayers that he has inspired in so many people. And he has shown that how deeply you love someone can be more important than how long you love them. Your example of opening your heart to him, despite knowing how short his life could be, has pushed me towards trying to not be so fearful in loving the people in my life as well.

    Thank you for sharing your experience so honestly with us. I pray that your motherhood will be a blessing to you as well in the midst of the sorrow and tears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't know me, but I've been following your (and Ben and Wolfie's) story on Facebook. I thought about you and prayed for you all day on Mother's day. My heart aches for you. I am so impressed by what an amazing mommy you are and have been to Wolfie. I just finished reading "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo. It's a true story about a little boy who almost died and spent several minutes in heaven. His account of heaven is so beautiful and the one thing he kept repeating was how much God loves the children. He said heaven was full of little children. My mind kept going back to little Wolfie with his Father in heaven who loves him more than any man could ever love him. What an amazing time he must be having right now in heaven. I have been incredibly impacted by Wolfie's life and I didn't even know him. You are constantly in my prayers and I look forward to meeting Wolfie in heaven one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke, I'm in tears. I wish I knew your phone number and had been there for you at the service. I had no idea.

    Please know that I'm thinking of you.

    I love you.

    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brooke,
    Your strength amazes me! I have had you and ben and wolfie in my prayers since I heard. I have cried for you and I am in awe of your strength and willingness to share with the world. Please let me know if you need anything!
    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete