Monday, April 25, 2011

Pregnancy update!

Today, Monday, we woke up knowing that we are reaching the end of the line here.  I am one week and 4 days past my expected due date (just 3 days away from being within the dreaded 42 week mark, when things get super serious about the safety of the baby and safety of mom as well).   I had a sonogram and stress test scheduled at 11am, but when I awoke I noticed an email from my awesome doula, Talitha, to give her a call as soon as I was up.

Talitha suggested I go ahead and get on in to the midwife today, as opposed to waiting for my scheduled appointment tomorrow, to have a cervical sweep done (why wait another day, right?).  So I made some calls and they were able to squeeze me in right after the sonogram.

The sonogram visit was nice... apparently Wolfie is doing perfectly in all respects.  He scored a 10 out of 10... go Wolf!  But the doctor goofed and told me his weight... several people suggested to me that I don't let them tell me how much he weighs... that it might create a mental-hurdle for myself while I'm pushing just knowing how many lbs. I'm trying to push out.  But, he ended up being 8lbs. 11 oz, which actually just seems so normal and average that I seriously doubt it will affect me much.  And besides, they're frequently a little "off" on those weight estimations when it's so late in the pregnancy like now because they can't really see the whole body of the baby all at once to get a really good measurement.

But anywho... so everything was normal there.  Then, we rushed to see the midwife (who was squeezing me in on her off time) without even having lunch or anything.  I knew that I would be getting this cervical thing done.  I'll spare all you lightweights the gory details but basically it's a very normal thing that many pregnant women have done (it's a natural procedure that does not involve drugs) that basically just helps to jump-start dilation, and maybe even the contractions.  But what I didn't really prepare myself for was how much it would hurt.  She actually did it twice for me... the second time around not being quite as bad... but dang... I'm going to have to do even more mental preparation for the pain of birth because now I feel like a total wimp.    Ha! 

When it was all over, I sat up and felt sweaty, nauseous, dizzy and had ringing in my ears.  Again, totally did not expect that either.  I think it was because my heart-rate sky rocketed and I have to admit that I did hyper-ventilate a little... oops.  Also, by this time it was around 1:20 and I hadn't eaten since 9:30 am.  Ooops again.  But she laid me back for a few minutes and I felt much better.  I felt even MUCH better after having a frozen coke and some fries on our way home, but I digress.

The GREAT thing we learned today is that I am now 3cm dilated and about 80% effaced.  Hooray!  It means the end is SUPER NIGH!   In a few minutes I'm having an orange julius with about a tablespoon of castor oil to keep the ball rolling, and hopefully have this baby out. 

I have a scheduled time to go in on Thursday if all else fails... but I want to do this without that.  Thursday means drugs... mild drugs mind you... but drugs.  I can still get in the water depending on the circumstances on Thursday... but seriously, let's do this before then, Wolfie, OK?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment