Wednesday, August 24, 2011

does not compute

If my inner emotion were a computer, my screen would be blue and it would read,

Error:  Does not compute.


I do not understand why babies and little children must die.  For all the reasons I could muster, it doesn't fit into my feeble understanding of how God cares for us.  Why these little innocents must shuffle off cannot be part of God's care for those who are left behind (or if you see one's time on earth as a gift, then also those who are taken).  I have a hard time with the question of whether or not God has his hands in this or not.  On one hand, I wonder if it's part of some divine plan, which upon facing eternity in happiness and in the presence of all that is holy will become not only evident but like a small thing to me (but not until then).  In this scenario, death is not only a part of God's plan but God has created death to go along with our mortality, and he intends to use it for some greater plan. 

I have a hard time believing the above scenario.  I am not utterly convinced that God wants us to experience death, the loss of death or the pain of it in order to glorify some great plan... I think he loves us greatly as individuals (not just small pieces in a greater machine or plan).

  On the other hand, I wonder if perhaps death and the horror, shock and pain of death were like the cancer upon God's good creation (one which God did not intend but did allow) and seeing as how God did not intend for this to happen to his most beloved, all will be reconciled when the enemy is destroyed.  In this scenario God collects the perfect spoils of this spiritual war and redeems them in heaven.  But in this scenario, God is not responsible for the induction of death (the creation of death).  Whether we cast it upon ourselves at the beginning of his creation, or whether it a product of the enemy (or both), God saves us ultimately from it...that which he did not intend for us to endure.   

But if this is the case then why, God?  Why are we waiting?  How much terrible harm can be done on the most pure and beautiful things ever to exist before you rescue them (us)?

I feel inclined to believe that we were not created to handle death well.  This is why it does not compute.  I cannot fathom my own demise, nor can I even begin to understand or grasp the death of another.  Not only that... but I hate death.  If given the chance I would wish it all away from the face of the earth- never to harm another again. 

Is our emotion energy?  Where does the pain of death go?  Some people like to talk about the circle of life (with or without God in it)... where is the spot in the circle for the pain, anger, rage, frustration, hurt, bewilderment, and turmoil of death?  Do all of our tears go back into the earth too?  Are they recycled into life-giving water? 

Sigh.

Here is where I am right now.  An error screen. 

But maybe that's the best place to be.  I'm not entirely sure that I'm *supposed* to compute.  This event doesn't register in my earthly equation... and besides I'm not very good at solving formulas anyhow.

4 comments:

  1. Its crazy how terrible and beautiful both scenarios are. Hopefully one day i will also be able to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote a similar thing in my first ever blog, with no followers.
    I am questioning, I believe in God but are not raised in anything. I follow no church and respect all religions. Right now I am having trouble with where God is, life lessons etc. I do believe that out bad becomes good.
    But this cost is too high. I can learn another way. I wish I knew...
    I kinda think I may never know
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke,

    I still fight this battle day after day. Our hearts are forever broken and bruised. Never will I have the sweet ignorance is bliss attitude because I know what happens when the worst thing you can imagine happens. And when your nightmares and worst fears come true.

    The thing that I hold on to is that God is grieving with us. Jesus wept NOT over the death of Lazarus. He KNEW he was going to die.. And He knew that he would spend forever in Heaven. Jesus wept because He grieved with his friends that were hurting. Jesus cries with us because it moves Him to see us cry and hurt.

    I don't think there will ever be an answer of "why", nor do I believe there is one on this earth... but I rejoice knowing that I am NOT alone and that God is hurting with me.

    I am so thankful that God is 100% in control. He doesn't do things the way I like them, but He still has it.

    Just know you are not alone and that there really are women who are in the exact same boat. And know that you are not expected to "get over this" ever.

    Love you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this thought would help you, but it does me...have you ever seen or are you familiar with the opera "La Calisto?" As is so often the case, Jove has had an affair with some little mortal. Juno (who I saw as representing natural order in our production) then proceeds to make her life hell out of jealousy, and Jove, sorry that his passion has gotten her hurt, turns her into a star.

    God loves us passionately. Nature can be a heinous bitch.

    Take care, darling.

    (Emily)

    ReplyDelete